Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  March 16, 2012 10:00pm-11:00pm PDT

10:00 pm
president obama is also feeling bracket fever. and maybe something more. 11 of his sweet 16 teams are from swing states. and his final four choices, north carolina, kentucky, ohio state, and missouri, are key battleground contests, too. obama thinks carolina will win it all. but when you're the president and playing brackets in politics, the game, my friend, ends in november. piers morgan will be back monday interviewing rick santorum's wife, karen. he also has scott brown. that's it for tonight. i thank piers for letting me sit in. "ac 360" starts right now. we begin with breaking news. late tonight the american soldier accused of killing 16 afghan civilians has been identified as staff sergeant
10:01 pm
robert bales. the first pictures of sergeant bales. also learning right now he is headed to fort leavenworth in kansas. bales is accused of leaving his base in afghanistan last sunday, walking a nearby villages and gunning down 16 victims. more on the story later on in the program. first up, keeping them honest. whether you agree with the verdict or not, justice was served in a new jersey courtroom where a jury convicted dharun ravi. ravi, a former rutgers university student used a web cam to spy on his gay roommate while he was with a man. he then tweeted about what he saw. days later, he killed himself. he was just 18 years old. ravi now faces up to ten years in prison. keeping them honest, at the time of his arrest, there was no law on the books making cyberbullying a crime. it wasn't until a month after his suicide that new jersey passed the law.
10:02 pm
prosecutors were able to convict him under a bias intimidation law instead. only 11 states currently have laws on the books criminalizing cyberbullying. 11 states, that is despite the fact that it remains a huge problem. kids between 8 and 15 say bullying is a bigger problem for them than raism or pressure to have sex. here is what joe clementi said today. >> the trial was painful for us, as it would be for any parent who must sit and listen to people dock about bad and inappropriate things that were done to their child. we were here every day because we wanted to be here for our son and because we believed the trial was important because it dealt with important issues for our society and for our young people today. >> i can only imagine how hard it nus have been to sit through the trial. they, of course, are still grieving.
10:03 pm
if tyler clementi were alive, he would be a sophomore returnling to campus about now from spring break. in just a few weeks, he would be studying for spring exams. ravi's attorneys tried to convince the jury that he was a young student with bad judgment. they didn't buy it. his lawyers said they will appeal. the trial lasts three weeks. the jury deliberated over two days. miguel marquez looks back. >> guilty or not guilty? >> guilty. >> a clean sweep for the prosecution. guilty on all counts. he never took the stand on his own behalf instead, his defense used the police interrogation video to prove he never meant any harm. he never put the encounter online. >> at the corner of the screen, we see -- we see someone's back. it was obvious they were being intimate or whatever.
10:04 pm
and it's like so we just cloeed it immediately, and i just felt -- >> ravi's defense said he only turned on the camera because he didn't trust his visitor and was worried about theft. >> the reason i was weirded out was because he came in, i said hey, he didn't acknowledge me at all, just sat on the bed, on tyler's bed, and didn't say anything. i left the room, and i was kind of getting a little creeped out and worried about what was happening. because i had other valuables in there. >> prosecutors painted a different picture, arguing that he targeted his room malt because of his sexual orientation, setting up the camera to spy on him and telling his friends what he saw taped it when he asked the use the room again.
10:05 pm
>> his friend, who cut a deal with prosecutors, testified he was uncomfortable with clementi's sexuality. >> was was the defendant's reaction, how was he reacting? >> shocked, surprised at what he saw. freaking out a little. >> as evidence of intimidation, prosecutors hammered the jury with a tweet he send. roommate asked for the room till midnight. i went into molly's room and turned on my web cam, i saw him making out with a dude. yay. clementa quickly asked for a room change and checked the tweet dozens of times. days later, he jumped off the george washington bridge. he said jumping off the gw bridge. sorry. >> ravi wasn't charged with the death and his defense argued he
10:06 pm
acted childishly, but he wasn't homophobic, writing, i have known you were gay and have no problem with it. in fact, one of my closest friends is gay and we have a very open relationship. i just suspect you were shy about it which is why i never brooched the topic. i don't want your freshman year to be ruined because of a petty misunderstanding. we don't know if tyler clementi ever saw that text. miguel marquez, cnn, new york. >> well, the jurors got the case on wednesday. they reached their verdict shortly before noon today. joining me are two members of the jury. thank you guys so much for being with us. bruno, are you satisfied by the verdict today? >> yeah, i'm very satisfied. i mean, it took a, four long, hard weeks, and when we were in the jury room for three days, i think we all pretty much were satisfied. >> the bias intimidation charge,
10:07 pm
you say it presented more difficulty than the others did. how so? >> there was just so many different levels. there was three different levels that you can actually see it being biased. >> uh-huh. >> then there was the whole thing where he did it one time the first day, and then we pretty much had to figure out whether or not he did it on purpose had to get inside his mind, to see if he actually did it intentionally with purpose of bias towards his roommate. >> do you think it would have been easier or harder if ravi had actually taken the stand? >> i think it would have been a little easier because we would have had the state of mind he had on september 19th or during the month of september. >> right. is it hard to -- i mean, just the process of coming to this decision, what was the hardest part? >> i believe the hardest part was actually proving that he was guilty of a certain charge, and actually getting the evidence that would prove him guilty on that charge.
10:08 pm
>> uh-huh. how about for you? >> same thing. it's -- i know for the first -- the first part when we came across the bias, there was some things that -- there wasn't enough evidence or enough witness statements to actually prove on certain points that he was, in fact, guilty. that's why you have the 24 and the 11 not guilties, and the 24 guilties, because we couldn't really -- on certain parts we really couldn't establish that as far as being, having a guilty verdict. >> we've all seen jurors working on television shows and stuff. what was it like in the jury room and how did you guys work together? >> want to answer that or you want me to answer it? >> as i see it, as instructed by the jumg, not to bring anything from the media, it actually brought a different perspective on it because at the same time, i'm there. it's live testimony. i see the evidence, and not to hear any other media, what they feed me, is a way different story. and i thought just being there was actually more helpful to
10:09 pm
come to the decision because we were all on the same page when we got 92 the room. now it was time to dissect every charge and see where we stand. >> the majority of us were all brand up in it jury process. >> both had never been on a jury? >> both of us had never been. my first time. i enjoyed it. it was a lot of information. probably one of the highest things you can do for the country as far as serving on jury duty. once we got to know who the original 16 were, we pretty much began to bond on you know, when we were downstairs on our breaks. we would get to know each other a little better and the process was easier. once we got into the jury room, it was down to business and time to figure out whether or not he was guilty or not. >> i appreciate your service and i appreciate you guys coming on to talk about it. thank you so much. really interesting to hear from you. sentencing for ravi set for may 21st. he faces up to ten years in prison and could face
10:10 pm
deportation to india where he was born. former prosecutor sunny hostin. were you surprised? by the verdict? >> i was surprised. i've been following this case since day one. i actually was in the courtroom when the case first began, and i thought that it was going to be difficult to prove bias intimidation, because as these two jurors just said, the prosecution had to prove what his motivation was. what was in dharun ravi's mind, and that is a very difficult thing to do, and, also, you know, anderson, this is the first time, in my view that bias intimidation, hate crimes, have been prosecuted in this way. >> explain what biased intimidation is? >> sure. in new jersey, what they had to show was dharun ravi intended to intimidate tyler clementi by spying on him. he was motivated by his bias, and intended to intimidate him because of his sexual orientation. they also could have proven it a
10:11 pm
different way. could have prove than he intended to intimidate and was biased against m.b., the person tyler clementi was with. what they did convict on, he was biased against tyler clementi and tyler clementi felt intimidated by him. just by going over it, you see how difficult that really is, because tyler clementi wasn't here to testify. so the jury had to look at all the facts and they determined that tyler clementi felt intimidated because of his sexual orientation. this is the first time this type of statute has been used in this way. of course, now new jersey has this very, very robust cyber bullying law, but that wasn't what he was convicted of. he was convicting of a hate crime. and i think it really is a game changer in many respects, because this is a wake-up call to our young people, to anyone that uses social media, quite frankly, because now you will be held accountable for those words, those hateful words you use on the internet.
10:12 pm
>> do you think -- i mean, he could get up to ten years. do you think he will get that? >> in new jersey, when you get convicted of a second-degree crime, like bias intimidation, a felony, there's a presumption that you should be sentenced to jail time. five to ten years. and 99%, i'm told, of defendants facing this presumption typically get put in prison. now, this judge has asked for a sentencing memorandum from the defense. if the defense can show more mitigating factors meaning he shouldn't be put in jail because he doesn't have a criminal record, been an upstanding citizen. if they can prove this, in the interests of justice, a judge should give him a non-custodial sentence, perhaps he won't go to prison. >> he could have accepted a plea deal, had no jail time. >> in retrospect, it's shocking that he didn't accept that plea deal. you're right. didn't include prison time and only included 600 hours of
10:13 pm
community service. i believe it is likely having seen this judge in action, he will likely spend some time in prison. >> all right. let us know what you think. follow me on twitter. coming up, newt gingrich again, today, promised if he's elected president he will bring gas prices down to $2.50. blamed president obama for rising prices. can any president really do anything to affect prices at the pump? keeping them honest. later, a family's outrage. a picture of an american soldier killed in iraq that two dating websites used to advertise their services. what the family is doing about it and what the websites are saying coming up. also, a bizarre public outburst by the filmmaker whose kony 2012 video went viral. this is caught on tape, jason russell naked in the streets of san diego. he's been taking in by police and getting medical treatment tonight. more on that ahead. [ male announcer ] the game of life with the prius c!
10:14 pm
♪ oh, my maltipoo's depressed. but my affordable prius c means i can pay for his acupuncture. whew. i love my pooch. oh no! my homemade sushi... turned p-ushi! use estimated 53 mpg to find a gluten-free alternative. look, this means i'm a chef. [ male announcer ] be a winner with the all-new prius c from toyota. ♪ but proven technologies allow natural gas producers to supply affordable, cleaner energy, while protecting our environment. across america, these technologies protect air - by monitoring air quality and reducing emissions... ...protect water - through conservation and self-contained recycling systems... ... and protect land - by reducing our footprint and respecting wildlife. america's natural gas...
10:15 pm
domestic, abundant, clean energy to power our lives... that's smarter power today. chocolate lemonade ? susie's lemonade... the movie. or... we make it pink ! with these 4g lte tablets, you can do business at lightning-fast speeds. we'll take all the strawberries, dave. you got it, kid. we have a winner. we're definitely gonna need another one. small businesses that want to grow use 4g lte technology from verizon. i wonder how she does it. that's why she's the boss. because the small business with the best technology rules. contact the verizon center for customers with disabilities at 1-800-974-6006. the priceline negotiator went down in that fiery bus crash. yes i was. we lost a beautiful man that day. but we gained the knowledge that priceline has thousands and thousands of hotels on sale every day. so i can choose the perfect one for me without bidding. is it hard for you to think back to that day? oh my, this one has an infinity pool.
10:16 pm
i love those they just... and then drop off, kinda like the negotiator. president obama spent today attending fund-raisers for his re-election campaign raising $5 million. the men who want his job were also on the trail in illinois. one line of attack picking up considering steam for the candidates is the rising price of gas. have you believe that bringing
10:17 pm
down gas prices is as simple as casting a vote for president. our question is, can the president, any president, really do much to affect the prices, or is it all just -- well, politics? keeping them honest. no doubt an issue a lot of americans care about. gas prices rose again to a national average just over $3.83 a gallon up almost 56 cents since the beginning of the year. newt gingrich made it his mantra. if he's elected president he can bring the price down to $2.50 a gallon. >> i'm happy to say the gingrich plan moves you towards $2.50 or less. the obama plans moves you towards $9 or $10 or more. >> that was just today. when it comes to the $2.50 of gas, gingrich isn't just making campaign promise, he's plastering it all over the campaign trail. we showed you one poster. a gas pump with a $2.50 price tag appeared on his campaign logo. it's the first thing you see when you logon to the newt.org, and he's mentioned it a few times.
10:18 pm
>> i've developed a program for american energy. so no future president will ever bow to a saudi king again, and so every american will look forward to $2.50 a gallon gasoline. one of my goals this fall is to run as president drilling versus president algae and let people choose between $10 and $2.50. $10 with him. $2.50 with me. you decide the next four years. >> newt equals $2.50 a gallon gasoline. >> newt equals $2.50 gallon gasoline. >> $2.50 a gallon. >> $2.50 a gallon. >> yes. >> a plan against $2.50. >> $2.50 gallon. >> $2.50 gallon. >> $2.50 gallon. >> $2.50 gallon. >> $2.50 a gallon. $250 a gallon. >> newt equals $2.50 a gallon gasoline. >> gingrich is going so far as to guarantee an exact price.
10:19 pm
>> this is a president who doesn't like oil, coal, natural gas, nuclear. we're seeing the results of that as you look at gasoline prices today. >> when you see the gas pump when you're pumping gas the next time, and you see that number go from dollars with two columns to that third column, and you see that zero come up, think of zero for o for obama. >> the president says we have seen this movie before, politics as usual. >> every time prices start to go up, especially in an election year, politicians dust off their three-point plans for $2 gas. i guess this year they decide we're going to make it $2.50. i don't know where -- you know, why not $2.40?
10:20 pm
why not $2.10? >> well, it's true. it's a time-honored tradition. when gas prices are high especially in an election year the president is blamed. opponents whether republicans or democrats will promise to fix it and quickly. keeping them honest, the price of oil is set in the global market. vulnerable to middle east turmoil and threats from iran, and economists working at a cia analyst put it like this. "political rhetoric is all it is shorter price controls which were a disaster in the mixon administration, politicians can't do much to change the price of gasoline." this from a bipartisan policy scholar who worked on energy policy in washington for more than 20 years. "obviously, the price ever oil set on a global market in the immediate term there's almost nothing you can do." even if there was a silver bullet to bring down gas price, quick fix, magic wand, whatever you call it, no presidential candidate has that bag of tricks up his sleeve, or in his bag, i guess. still in these times of painful
10:21 pm
prices at the gas pumps the message seems to be getting through to people even if nothing more than a gimmick a tried and true piece of campaign myth. in a cbs news/"new york times" poll last week, 54% think the president can do something about gas prices. joining me with two different perspective. fareed zucar zakaria, and steven morris. is this rhetoric? >> pure political pandering. the world consumes about 80 million barrels of oil a day. the total u.s. increase in production, if you were do to everything that newt gingrich fantasizes about, would be less than, you know, half a percent of that. so the chance that it would have any impact on the price of oil, particularly in the short run, is pure fantasy. it's not just fantasy but newt surely knows better. the truth of the matter is we are in the middle of a great boom in domestic oil production. we are at the highest levels in 30 years. the united states for the first time is actually exporting oil
10:22 pm
rather than importing oil, and it has made no difference to our prices. in fact, as we can see, oil prices have gone up. why? because, a, china is growing, india is growing. all that growth we know about is taking place, and secondly, people are worried about a possible war with iran. geopolitical concerns. so these are not things that you can easily fix, you know. you're not going to get china to slow down or change the fact there are genuine concerns, and increasing american domestic production is such a marginal issue at this point that it's really totally irresponsible for newt gingrich to be saying this. >> stephen, you disagree? >> well, look, i agree in the short-term, fareed is right. not much that barack obama can do over the next months or so to reduce the high price of gasoline, and fareed is also right that the major reason we're seeing the spike right now is because of what's happening in the middle east. i agree with those two thing, but it's also true you know, this president has been completely hostile to domestic
10:23 pm
production of oil and gas. it is true we have a big increase, not because of barack obama. he's opposed the drilling, permitting we could do. you're right we've seen an increase, but i just got back from north dakota. what's going on there is a miracle. we have more oil right now in states like north dakota, oklahoma, colorado, california, than saudi arabia has oil, and i think the reason this is a political problem for the president is americans are connecting the dots. they're seeing the fact that we're not -- when we're not doing things that make so much common sense, like building the keystone pipeline, not doing the drilling, the permitting to exploit our own natural resources, americans understand. wait. that hits me in the pump. >> stephen is pointing out, all this oil is being drilled. in point of fact, whether or not the president is enthusiastic about what's happening over his grudging objections, we are in the midst of a huge oil boom, and prices are rising. and keystone is a total red
10:24 pm
herring. the keystone oil is going to be excavated, produced, it is going to be used. it is going to be used by china or us. it makes not a jot of difference to the price of oil, because that oil will reach the world market. when we talk about this, yeah, maybe hypothetically, if there were a president who would green light every single project that stephen would like, maybe you'd, as i said, you'd increase production marginally. we have actually increased production substantially and it's not led to any reduction in price. there are geopolitical fears. >> do you agree he can bring it to $2.50 a gallon? >> yes. i've seen presidents do this. one of the rise reasons this is such a hot button issue anderson, because of the fact one of the reasons jimmy carter lost the election was because of very high gasoline prices, a result of the very high inflation. >> let me ask you a question? >> let me finish my point. the reagan brought the inflation rate down and by the end of the
10:25 pm
reagan first term in office the price of gasoline fell in half. yes, i've seen it happen. >> because the economy went into a recession. oil prices are also collapsed when we had the global financial crisis. but, stephen, let me ask you this -- >> wait. by 1984, the economy was boon booming. we have prices half of what they were. i'm not disagreeing in the short term. i've been in washington 20 years. we've been debating whether we should drill in alaska for 20 years. if we'd done that 20 years ago we'd have the oil right now and i do believe that would affect the world oil price. >> you know, stephen, that the quantity of oil we're talking about is not going to make a difference. let me ask you, you agree the short-term increase is prices is because of geopolitical uncertainty. yes. >> i would love to hear some republican candidate say this. in the short term you wanted to bring the price of oil down, here's the way to do it. promise under no circumstances you will invade or attack iran.
10:26 pm
say that you will freely accept all iranian oil and that, in fact, encourage them to increase production. would that or would that not be the single thing that would bring the price of oil down right now? >> well, that's a little bit of a realm of expertise. i'm not a foreign policy expert. >> but you know it's true. >> well, look. i mean, we all want stability in the middle east and want iran to demilitarize, but my point is because we have had 50 years of turmoil in the middle east, what i don't understand about the president's energy policy, why aren't we doing everything we can to drill for oil as we can here in the united states. if the price of oil goes to $110 a barrel, don't you they makes sense not just from an economic standpoint from a national security standpoint, fareed that we drill as much as we can here so we don't have to send so much money abroad. the countries like venezuela, iran and saudi arabia? >> answer that, if you want, also i want to ask about a special on health care this
10:27 pm
weekend. >> i just want to say, i'll say it one more time. we are at a 30-year high, exporting oil for the first time. that has not driven the price down. the idea that marinal increases in a few more fields, even in alaska -- i agree with stephen that we should be doing more in terms of domestic oil production, but the idea that it has an affect on the price is quite silly. it could have an affect on energy independence. which actually comes mostly from canada. it's an attempt to look around the world and say there are 20 countries in the world that face similar health care problems as we do. rich countries, they want to provide access as a decent price. why is it we're the only once almost two to three times as expensive as everyone else? what can we learn from them? is there something they can learn from us? it's really an attempt to benchmark. companies always do this. benchmark and ask ourselves,
10:28 pm
what's going on in the rest of the world? why do they have health care systems that at the very least are delivering roughly the same outcome if not better outcomes at half the price. >> thank you both for being on. the deadly and destructive tornadoes that tore through the midwest and south uprooted and changed the lives of so many people. one story, a married couple videotaped one twister and then got caught up in it. a new video going viral. a filmmaker, his kony 2012 video is such a phenomenon, he's been hospitalized. he appeared naked in a public park. you see the video there. details ahead. [ woman ] my husband, hank, was always fun.
10:29 pm
never took life too seriously... till our son was born. that day, he bought life insurance. now there's no way i could send our boy to college without it.
10:30 pm
if there was one thing i could say to hank, it'd be "thank you." you're welcome. hey, hank. [ male announcer ] life insurance you can use while you're still living. you are one lucky lady. mm-hmm. [ male announcer ] learn more from your state farm agent today.
10:31 pm
10:32 pm
up close tonight is becoming all too familiar a sight and happened again with destructive force, a powerful tornado touching down, cutting a path of destruction through communities, leveling homes, businesses in its way. the scene last evening in dexter, michigan. look at that. amazing storm. the massive job of cleaning up is just beginning. damage is being assessed. there are no reports of deaths or injuries. michigan's governor toured dexter to get a firsthand look at destruction. amazing nobody there was killed. it was a much different situation earlier this month when dozens of people died in a string of twisters across the south and the midwest. henryville, indiana, as we reported, got hit hard way a massive twister. for the first time a look at funnel cloud as it took aim at one couple who did not get out of the way in time. susan candiotti has their story. >> kept coming, getting bigger
10:33 pm
and bigger. it was way on the other side, and you could see it coming down. >> i'm recording it now. >> this is crazy. >> reporter: from their living room window, lenora and her husband wayne saw a tornado coming at them in the distance. both of you grabbed a camera? >> we both had our little cameras and doing it. >> that's as far -- ah -- >> man, that's a big one, too. it's a huge one. >> listen to it. >> he did not like storms. he watched them, and he liked seeing them, but i was a storm lover. >> reporter: but this twister was for real. >> it's coming right toward henryville. maybe we should tell them. >> it won't move. >> it's coming here. it's picking up. it's picking stuff up. look, you can see it rotate. >> hope it goes to the north of us. it looks like it's heading right towards us. >> we could see it lifting stuff up.
10:34 pm
and coming out of the wall, and the different colors and we could see it -- the yellow, the green, the black, the grays, the blues. all of the different colors. >> reporter: at one point on that tape, the excitement in your voice seems to change. the tone changes. >> yeah. we knew. we knew we was going to be hit, and it wasn't going to be pretty. >> yep. maybe we should get away from the window? [ bleep] >> reporter: when do you decide, uh-oh. time to take cover? >> y'all will think we're crazy. it was like -- right, like, between those things and the road. it was so close. >> looking at it picking stuff up. we need to close this window. i'm sorry. i'm going to have to close the window. i've got to close the door. oh, my gosh. >> reporter: and then the tape just cuts off. >> yeah. it was time. it was -- here.
10:35 pm
we got -- we hunkered down, put the blanket over us. and we just hugged. we just -- you know -- and he was -- his head and body was up against me here. we had our arms around each other. he said, i love you. and i said i love you, too. >> reporter: the last thing she remembers was her ears popping. then she blacked out. the twister threw the couple outside their home. neighbors came looking, and heard a noise. >> well it sounded like a baby crying, is what i thought, which mike said it sound like a cat meows, when i hollered, mike, there's somebody in there. we got to go over there. we ran in the house and flipped the wall off her and got her out. she instantly saying, my husband, my husband. right next to her, we could see his feet underneath the refrigerator. >> and i knew. you know. i just knew when he was laying
10:36 pm
there like that, that -- he didn't make it. >> reporter: amazingly, lenora hunter badly bruised survived. she lost her beloved husband of 41 years and virtually everything she owns but has her family keeping her strong, and she has the videos of bittersweet memento. >> i have never seen one. i finally get to see one. maybe the last one i see. >> that's true. >> reporter: when you think back and you remember saying, i hope it's not the last. >> uh-huh. >> reporter: it turns out -- >> it was. it was for wayne. so it was for him. and he never liked them anyway.
10:37 pm
>> reporter: she will rebuild right here where the couple retired. and where she says she has to be. >> this is going to be my home. >> reporter: this is where you and wayne wanted to be? >> right. this is our home. and it will be my home forever. >> reporter: lenora hunter, rebuilding a home and a life after so much loss. susan candiotti, henryville, indiana. >> so sad. coming up, a soldier from texas killed in iraq. his family says he has been dead for years, and suddenly his picture has started popping up in ads for online dating services, of all things. we're going to hear from the family who tracked down those websites. later new violence, kofi annan, doing the best to find a peaceful solution to make it easier for humanitarian aid to reach the people who so desperately need it.
10:38 pm
confidence. available in color. depend® for women is now peach. looks and fits like underwear. same great protection. depend®. good morning. great day. my high school science teacher made me what i am today. our science teacher helped us build it. ♪ now i'm a geologist at chevron, and i get to help science teachers. it has four servo motors and a wireless microcontroller. over the last three years we've put nearly 100 million dollars into american education. that's thousands of kids learning to love science. ♪ isn't that cool? and that's pretty cool. ♪
10:39 pm
[ male announcer ] aggressive new styling. a more fuel-efficient turbocharged engine. and a completely redesigned interior. ♪ the new c-class with over 2,000 refinements. it's amazing...inside and out. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers through mercedes-benz financial services.
10:40 pm
10:41 pm
digging deeper tonight for the parents of one fallen american soldier. a story that adds outrage and insult to the terrible pain of losing their son killed in iraq. there son dead for years when they found out a picture of him in uniform was being used to advertise dating websites under the headline "military man searching for love." warren savage tracked down the websites to figure out how this could have happened. >> reporter: last year when he appeared on a website advertising for women, his fiancee and family couldn't believe it. >> i was just flabbergasted. >> reporter: the family and fiance knew the ad couldn't be
10:42 pm
true because peter burks was here, killed in iraq, november 2007. that was four years ago, but as alan burk showed me mementos of his military life, you could still feel a father's pain. it doesn't stop there. peter was engaged to missy. a lifetime of happiness seemed around the corner. alan was on the phone with his future daughter-in-law the day she came home to find soldiers at her door. >> she had just picked up her wedding dress. they were there on the front door when she got home. she saw them there, and i'll never get that scream out of my head. no! no! no! >> reporter: peter had been killed by a roadside bomb. when was this picture taken? the family cherishes this photograph taken just before he was killed. they say it embodies every great trath about their hero son who they would never see again.
10:43 pm
only, they did see him again. last december alan burk got an e-mail from one of peter's friends who uses online dating sites. she sent him a screen graph of an advertisement. there was the beloved photo of peter encouraging women to date u.s. soldiers. >> it's just very, very sickening. >> reporter: he says the ad appeared on at least two websites plentyoffish.com and true.com. he says peter never used those sites and suspects the image was taken from a charity website the family set up in peter's honor. so they are suing. >> this is not some teenager who posted a friend's picture without permission. these are large companies that obviously took this picture and intentionally for commercial gain used it. >> reporter: just who would stoop to advertising using a dead soldier's picture? we contacted both companies. in an e-mail, they blamed the ad on a third party advertising claiming, we had no control over or knowledge of the content of ads run by third parties. via our site. they went on to say, the ad has
10:44 pm
been blocked from our network. in their statement, true.com denied they were behind the ad saying true.com never created, placed or used the photo of the lieutenant. the company also said management of true.com would never use the photo of a fallen soldier to promote our business, but we wanted to talk to someone in person. and it wasn't easy. this is a business address for true.com. if you look inside, you can see on the wall there is a slogan. live, love, learn. but the place is deserted, and it looks like it's been that way for a long time. >> reporter: if we couldn't find the company we went looking for the top guys. the founder, the company's president. we went from one multimillion dollar mansion -- to the next -- seems i missed him by six months. to the next. and it was the last big house where true.com founder herb best let us in. perfectly willing to talk, only no cameras. i just came from talking to mr.
10:45 pm
best. he wouldn't go on camera but said his website is responsible for the content that appears, and if the photograph did appear on his website, he has no idea how that could have happened. and lastly, he points out that if the photo was there, all he can really say is that they're really sorry. but sorry doesn't cut it for a dad, a fiancee and a family who has seen old wounds ripped open by someone's quest for more money. >> this is someone trying to make a buck off of the united states military personnel. using that uniform as an affront to me, it will be an affront to my son. >> joining us now. i can understand why this family is outraged by this and upset and hurt by it. what are they hoping to achieve with the lawsuit? >> the first thing, anderson, they want that photo stopped making sure nobody uses it and it never gets used in that way
10:46 pm
ever again. first and foremost. they also say all of this could have been avoided if they could have simply spoken to someone at either one of those websites, got answers. where did you get the photo? who put the ad up? were you responsibilities for it? every time they tried to get the answers they were stonewalled. they didn't get the answers they needed so this was the action they took. filing a lawsuit. >> anyone using images to make profit, unbelievable. they set up a website in memory of their son. >> it's called the unsungherofund.org. it basically collects small amounts of money and buys small things. toiletries and snacks, which to us in america doesn't seem like much, but when you send them overseas to a service member serving far away from home, it means a great deal, and they know it. >> put a link up on our website. martin, appreciate it. thanks very much. the man behind the viral video, "kony 2012," detained by police hospitalized after reportingly asking bizarre. naked in the streets of san diego. the video obtained by tmv, blown up on the internet, as you can
10:47 pm
imagine. trying to figure out what is going on there. we'll be right back. [ tires squeal, engine revs ] ♪ ♪ ♪ [ male announcer ] not everything powerful has to guzzle fuel. the 2012 e-class bluetec from mercedes-benz. see your authorized mercedes-benz dealer for exceptional offers
10:48 pm
through mercedes-benz financial services.
10:49 pm
my son and i never missed opening day. but with copd making it hard to breathe, i thought those days might be over. so my doctor prescribed symbicort. it helps significantly improve my lung function, starting within 5 minutes. symbicort doesn't replace a rescue inhaler for sudden symptoms. with symbicort, today i'm breathing better, and that means... game on! symbicort is for copd, including chronic bronchitis and emphysema. it should not be taken more than twice a day. symbicort may increase your risk of lung infections, osteoporosis, and some eye problems. tell your doctor if you have a heart condition or high blood pressure before taking it. [ whistle ] with copd, i thought i might miss out on my favorite tradition. now symbicort significantly improves my lung function, starting within 5 minutes. and that makes a difference in my breathing. today i'm back with my favorite team. ask your doctor about symbicort. i got my first prescription free. call or click to learn more. [ male announcer ] if you can't afford your medication,
10:50 pm
astrazeneca may be able to help. [ malwill be giving awayu can't passafree copiescation, of the alcoholism & addiction cure. to get yours, go to ssagesmalibubook.com. > unfortunate and unbelievable turn of events for the director of the "kony 2012" viable video. the war lord documentary that went viral. tonight, it's a new video that is getting attention. the director, jason russell, naked, screaming, pounlding his fists on the ground in the street of san diego. police in san diego said they got several 911 calls about the incident and they've been looking into this bizarre turn of events. what do we know about this? >> bizarre. 11:28 yesterday, calls coming in, people in the streets in san diego saying this man was running through the streets,
10:51 pm
some saying in his underwear. one caller said he was naked and masturbating at one point, although police say they never witnessed that when they showed up on scene about ten minutes later. they realized quickly this guy was acting irrationally and didn't arrest him but took him to a hospital. >> and the organization has put out some sort of statement. what did they say? >> ben kesey, ceo of invisible children has a much different take on this saying russell suffered exhaustion, dehydration and is receiving medical care and is focused on getting better. the past two weeks have taken a severe emotional toll on all of us. jason specifically and it manifested itself in an unfortunate innocent yesterday. >> malnutrition, exhaustion, and dehydration? >> he was clearly under a lot of pressure. >> so much focus on invisible children.
10:52 pm
>> of course, with any kind of attention, questions about the fund-raising, how they spent the money, the people that back it are. >> by all accounts, this was guy who traveled widely, who was comfortable in the world. had taken risks that -- it is shocking that it would come to this. >> yeah. we'll see what happens. i hope he gets better. thanks very much. appreciate it. susan hendricks joins us now. anderson, this special joint envoy for the u.n. and the arab league briefed the security council on the syrian crisis. kofi annan is working to find a peaceful solution, and to secure unimpeded access for humanitarian aid. the violence continued today with shelling in several cities including homs. >> the american soldier suspected of murdering 16 afghan civilians, including children and women, has been identified as robert bales. here, president hamid karzai expressed skepticism justice will be served.
10:53 pm
>> family members of tre'von martin say they're shocked, outraged that the man who shot him is still free tonight. george zimmerman is the captain of the overnight neighborhood watch and said he was shooting in shelf defense. >> and thousands of people are lining up to be among the first to get their hands on apple's new ipad. it has a super high ruz lesion screen, along with faster processor and internet connections. anderson? coming up, tired of having to choose between pizza and vasectomies? yeah. i thought you were. the ridiculist is next. ah, welcome to hotels.com. i get it...guys weekend. yeah!
10:54 pm
if you're looking for a place to get together, you came to the right place. because here at hotels.com, we're only about hotels. yeah! yeah! noooo. yeah! finding you the perfect place is all we do. welcome to hotels.com since ameriprise financial was founded back in 1894, they've been committed to putting clients first. helping generations through tough times. good times. never taking a bailout. there when you need them. helping millions of americans over the centuries. the strength of a global financial leader. the heart of a one-to-one relationship. together for your future. ♪ together for your future. whwheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
10:55 pm
whwheeee! ! whwheeee!! whwheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! ahah h heaeadsds u up. whwheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! evevererytythihingng y youou l , nonow w momobibilele.. dodownwnloloadad t thehe n nep totodaday.y. sergio! christina! question for you. what factors led you to buy your explorer. definitely the ecoboost option. what's pretty amazing is that you can get the fuel economy of a car in an suv. that basically did it for us. and the technology... oh, my goodness, the technology is amazing. everything is touch. you can actually talk to the car and it talks back to you. what have your friends said about your explorer? can we drive it? can we borrow it? what's your answer? no. no way. uh uh. (laugh)
10:56 pm
10:57 pm
time for "the ridiculist." tonight, the pizza and vasectomy combo. allow me to explain. a cape cod massachusetts clinic is offering a new special on vasectomies just in time for march madness. go in for a procedure now and get a free pizza. your drive home got easier because you no longer have to make two pesky stops for dinner and male sterilization. and don't just take my word for it. >> schedule your vasectomy in time for the college basketball tournament and then camp out on the couch for uninterrupted basketball. we'll even throw in a free pizza for the tournament. you've been thinking about it. now's the time to get done.
10:58 pm
call today right now or schedule your consultation online and then enjoy the game. >> work it. >> i love how at the very end the jingle you hear a lady go "work it." i hate to break it to you man, but all your fellow will be working for the next few days is an ice pack. don't you love how the announce mer says you know you've been thinking about vasectomy anyway. actually no. i haven't. pizza, yes. vasectomy, not so much. the only thing i think about less, watching the basketball tournament, the one with the touchdowns, right? you're thinking the ad has to be a spoof, that's what i thought. it's real. luckily for you, a reporter for the cape cod times went to the clinic and interviewed some employees in the hopes of snipping this story in the bud. >> right now for vasectomies in sandwich location, we're offering a free pizza for those gentlemen who like to get a vasectomy this month. >> did he say the name of the town is sandwich?
10:59 pm
i mean, pizza and -- it's not a urology clinic. it's a deli. let me try that in my larry king voice. it's not a urology clinic. it's a deli [ rim shot ] thank you very much. please tip your waitress on the way out. here is the thing, we all know pizza is hit or miss. some is great, some looks like debris that fell out of wolf blitzer's mustache. luckily, we have information on how this will be prepared. >> make two tiny punctures in the scrotum. >> that doesn't sound right. i'm sure they at least have a plan for what to do if the cheese stretches? >> we tie the ends off and cauterize them, separate them. >> all right. i'll be honest, i'm not sure we're talking about pizza anymore. i know what you're all thinking. you're wondering, the question every man asks at night, what kind of toppings will be on the free pizza i get with my vasectomy? they tacked that question on to the end of his report. listen carefully as the credits roll.